Monday, December 22, 2008

Homemade Laundry Soap and Fabric Softner

I have been using my homemade laundry soap and fabric softner and they seem to work well. Here are the recipes I promised!

Laundry Soap

2/3 Bar of Fels Napthta Soap
1/2 Cup of Washing Soda (not Baking Soda)
1/2 Cup of Borax


Grate the Soap, add Washing Soda and Borax and stir until blended. Use approximately 2 Tablespoons of the mixture per wash load. I have a scoop from an iced tea container or something and I fill that up about 2/3 of the way.

Fabric Softner

2 parts Water
1 part Vinegar
1 part Baking soda

I added 4 cups of water, two cups (1 box of baking soda) and two cups of vinega. Add the water and baking soda in a large bucket and mix until well blended. The baking soda will not dissolve completely. Then slowly add the vinegar and stir until it stops bubbling. It will start fizzing as soon as you add the vinegar. The baking soda will never fully dissolve.

Then you can add drops of essential oil for scent if you want. I added Lavendar to mine. Scent to your liking. Add 1/4 cup of fabric softner to the wash. I put the fabric softner into an old fabric softner container I had and use the lid to measure.

For the Fabric Softner sheets:

You can either dillute the store bought fabric softner and place in a spray bottle or add your homemade fabric softner to the bottle. Spray a piece of felt, washcloth or heavy duty paper towel and place it in the dryer with your clothes.

I hope this helps. I searched online and found several recipe variations.

Steph

No comments: